Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Monday, October 6, 2008

A Midwife Visit

So, it was almost two weeks between my last visit and the most recent visit (this past Sunday/yesterday). It went well. Basically, everything seems really normal, which is great. Obviously, I'm still pregnant. I'm seriously hoping this baby decides to come "on time" because I'm super done being preggie this time around. I know I've only got a couple days left, but if you know me, then you know my two priors have been quite late. Ria was 11 days and Kat was 2 weeks and they were, neither of them, easy or short labors. I'm ready to get the show on the road! (Totally NOT literally since we'll be staying home to have the baby!)

Some Progress
So far I'm dilated to 2 centimeters and very soft. 2 centimeters isn't very much (given Ria's birth)... I was at 2 for WEEKS. But I don't know the numbers for Kat's, so it could be good... given that this is my 3rd go round! Karen didn't specify how effaced I was, but there is some progress because she said I was really soft AND she could feel the baby's head. YEAY (apparently no breech, which is a relief)!

Walks
I haven't been able to walk (as per my regularly). Last week I only walked to piano class and back (only about 5 blocks total!) and it took me FOREVER! I even specifically asked Jess to make sure to have a ride to work on Thursday because I knew I couldn't handle the (total) 2 mile walk to and from Dance class. Why can't I walk? My hips have been super painful and we cannot afford the gas or the payment for chiropractic visits.

Our Trip and Salt
Today, though, I went along with Jess and the girls to purchase some items I needed from Love (Health Food Store) and WalMart. So, I walked quite a bit. I had to have 1: iron tablets so that I won't bleed to death, 2: oregano oil so I don't have to use antibiotics to treat something going on in the birth canal, 3: a special instrument for 2, and 4: bananas and salty things because my legs have started to cramp up on me in the night! :( That has, thus far, happened when I'm not eating bananas and salty things. The frustrating part of the salty things issue is that I can't just add salt to things I normally eat because then I can't palate it, even though I know I need to salt! Makes sense if you read about the necessity of salt intake (especially during pregnancy) and understand that just because the needs of the body change doen't mean that the taste buds follow right along. Mine certainly nevere have, which in some cases is quite good. Not in this one!

The common (dumb!) thing that western medical doctors generally do is to reduce salt intake. What should they do? Suggest drinking more water and salting to taste (or eating extra salty things if the person doesn't/can't add salt. What most people don't realize is that there are VERY few instances when reducing salt intake is a reasonable reaction to bloating, cramping, or ANYTHING else in pregnancy. BECAUSE the body, as long as it is well, will regulate it's OWN salt balance and will not keep more than it needs! It's really interesting stuff.

The funny/odd thing about this subject is that I'd done some research reading on it as a result of reading something that didn't jive with my intuition (I was right, by the way) and then Jess comes home from Story Time day with a Culinarian's book about Salt! It's neat that he was reading about it after I had, so he totally understood what I was talking about. So often he just sort of trusts my understanding of things I've researched, which I appreciate. But it's SO much nicer to be able to discuss it with him!

A Proud Mama
So, today on our outing Kat wore big girl panties! The thicker training panties, but still NOT "special" panties (pull-ups). I tried to help her use the potty at Wal-Mart, but she didn't go even though she tried. When we got home, which was about 1.5 hours after departing, her panties were DRY and she used the potty at home! YEAY!! I'm so pleased and happy. Of course, there's the possibility of backtracking after the baby arrives, but I really think she's going to stay mostly (if not entirely) on course! I'm so pleased! My second child to day potty train before 2 years old!!! ^_^

Ria; the funny things she says
Yesterday Jess, Ria, and I were talking about something. I can't really remember the actual subject, but it was a sort of serious talk, though Ria was not in trouble or anything. Ria was looking to me to see if her Daddy was telling the truth when he was saying something about wood (he jokes a lot and sometimes she can't tell if he is). I shook my head to tell her he wasn't serious and she said, "You're silly, Daddy, wood doesn't just fall off trees!" Now, mind you, there was nothing said about trees, but there was something said about wood. It was just the funniest thing. More because wood DOES fall off of trees AND because of the WAY Ria said what she did than because of the context in the conversation. I think she is still NOT convinced that wood comes from trees, though! :)

About the Baby
Even if it's a short one, I promise to update here as soon as I possibly can after we have the baby... even, perhaps, in the steady, but not too difficult portion of labor so you know to look for a post baby update. Like, right now (today) I've had regular contractions for periods of time, but then they go away. So, this is not labor. Hopefully, I'll share, in a couple of days, that I'm IN labor and we'll have a baby a few hours later. Hey, it could happen! Even if Ria took 21.5 hours and Kat took 2 days. You'd think I'm due for a quick one this time around. Right? :) We'll see. It totally COULD happen!

This time around has been sort of interesting. I've received NUMEROUS calls from friends and church family to see how I'm doing and whether the baby has come! Let me see... I'd have to say at least an average of 1 a day for the last week. It feels nice. I am unable to catch the phone most of the time, though, so I think I'm going to change my voice mail greeting on a daily basis for those who call because I seriously can't get to the phone fast enough AND can't tolerate the ring to extend how many it can go. So, if you call and hear such a thing and you'd like to talk to me personally, make sure you state as much. Otherwise I'll think you're just looking for an update. ;) Thank you for wondering and considering me/us! It's really wonderful of you!!!

2 comments:

felicakes said...

yes make sure you update us with the name and sex of your baby. I am dying to know!!!ehehehe

Heidi said...

Come on baby! And, when you are ready, come fast! But not TOO fast!

Aren't you alreay past your due date?

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter