Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Friday, July 31, 2009

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)

Do you think there's a difference between Organic and Genetically Modified crops? I know there is. This is a subject about which I began to learn about 4 years ago. At the time they predicted that there would come a time when governments of the world would work toward making genetic modified organisms THE way to grow foods... even to the point of making back yard gardening illegal. I thought it would never happen in my lifetime. I was wrong. There are bills in the House with language that could be interpreted in just such a way! Science fiction? I'm afraid not. It's all in preparation for the Codex deadline at the end of the year.

I want to share some GMO info with you. I hope you find it as enlightening as I do.
"There have been studies on various GE foods. In May, the American Academy
of Environmental Medicine (AAEM), a US-based international association of
physicians, called for an immediate moratorium on genetically modified foods,
saying they pose a "serious health risk"."

Why haven't we heard about that?

"Multiple animal studies have shown that GM foods cause damage to various organ
systems in the body. With this mounting evidence, it is imperative to have a
moratorium on GM foods for the safety of our patients' and the public's health,"
said Dr Amy Dean, a board member of AAEM."
Are you disturbed? I hope so. Monsanto and other big businesses in the GM race have more money than we can think of and lobby ALL the time. We need to do our part to fight the onslaught of unconstitutional laws on the docket in the House (with committees in the Senate).

If you think these laws will be just things that are passed, but then nothing comes of them, beware. In the short-run, not much may happen, but having these sorts of things "on the books" is creating a VERY dangerous world for our children. I want to leave this place better than it was when I came, not worse!

No comments:

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter