Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Sunday, December 7, 2008

How to Get Your Child to...

do just about anything? Well, it could depend on their position in the family! Recently, I found that with Ria, a really good way to encourage her to practice piano is by showing her some footage of a child just a little older than she is who can play phenomenally (Emily Bear). It CERTAINLY doesn't hurt a bit that the girl happens to have the first name that Ria seems inextricably drawn to.... She had a friend named Emily right after we moved here, but the girl had to go to school so we haven't seen her in about 1 year. Ria still talks about her, names stuffed animals after her, and is SUPER excited when she meets or SEES anyone with the same name.



So, rather than coercing or threatening Ria regarding piano now, all I do is suggest that she take some time to practice. Often she'll say something along the lines of, "Yeah, cause I want to play piano like that six-year-old!" Sometimes, as she's playing she'll remind me (and herself?) that she wants to play piano like Emily. It's REALLY wonderful!!!

Of course, then there are children like Kat. You ask them to do something and they immediately refuse. Then you ask their hero older sister to do it instead and OFF she (Kat) runs to do it herself! It's the funniest thing. Of course, if Ria were to refuse, Kat would be even happier in her refusal, too. Thankfully, if I've asked Kat to do it... Ria is even more pleased to be asked to do it in her stead. WHY!??? Well, at least it works! ^_^

Strange kids. But they SURE are wonderful!

Oh, I have some video of Ria playing our piano. Not up, yet, but it's-a-comin'... someday!

3 comments:

vicki said...

Initially I was disappointed when I saw it was NoT Ria in the video. I was going to by pass it to read the next blog, but went back.
WOwEe! "Just want to inspire..." She does!
love, mom

vicki said...

I admire you for the manner in which you stive to understand your chilren so you can effectively lead and guide them. You are a good mama!

Jenny said...

what a happy day to find an effective way to parent your children! Well done.

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter