Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pertinent

I've been amazed over the last month or two since we began, as a family, to read General Conference talks from the first Conference of 1975.  We started this part of our Devotional tradition because I kept hearing whispers that I should go back in time to read conference talks when we finished reading the most recent conference talks for the second time.

It took me about an hour or so to print them all out.  Mostly because I don't have a fancy shmancy printer and have to turn pages to get double-sided prints... and I hate to spend more on the paper... rather spend the time.  Anyway... the stack of talks was pretty intimidating.  I didn't realize they held General Conference for THREE days back then.  vewwy intoowesting  ;)

The one thing I have been most amazed about it how very... compeletely pertinent the messages are still today.  I mean... I'm 36 folks.  How often is it that the "philosophies of men" remain unchanged for 36 years.  There are, certainly, instances when it does happen.  Yes, of course.  But by an large... I just don't see it as the rule.  Do you?  But, as a rule, these talks are either "just" still pertinent... OR they are even more pertinent.  That last bit has stunned me.  I've never been punched in the stomach that I remember... but I've seen how it can knock the breath outta somebody... and that's how I've felt.  Just blown away, I tell ya.

So, are you interested?  Wanna see for yourself?  I encourage you to do so.  And if you wanna talk to me about any of the talks you read... I'm here and definitely up for it.  I love to converse with others about God's words!  ^_^

General Conference: April 1975 http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/1975/04?lang=eng

And if you want to read the one we finished reading twice: April 2012. http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2012/4?lang=eng

No comments:

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter