Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Friday, January 2, 2009

I Succumbed

succumbed
WHAT an odd word, huh? Say (or see!) it only a few times and is seems to lose its meaning. For me, most words do that when I say, think, or see them too frequently (like in the high tens or hundreds of times)... not succumbed.

Anywho...

I succumbed to the series. I only started hearing about it a few months ago via ChaCha questions. I saw the movie... online, of course. And then, I finally read the series. This may not go over with those who are HARD, but it feels incomplete to me. ahwell. WHAT am I talking about?

The Twilight series, of course.

I'm not sure, exactly, why I finally decided to read the books. The movie was all right, but not WOW.... But when I decided to read them I WANTED to read them. The first book, Twilight, was checked out after I made this decision (though not before, of course). I waited a few weeks, but it didn't come back. So, I finally checked out the second book New Moon, I think. And then the 3rd and 4th. I read them all within about 10 days (and that includes a few days of having to wait to go to the library because it was closed for the Christmas weekend).

I'm not exactly a fast reader. But I DO tend to be obsessive... not just about reading, unfortunately.

Anyway. The books are great. I'm currently reading Twilight (last... and NO, I didn't do that on purpose just to be different... SEE ABOVE) and it is quite a lot better than the movie. At least, I think so.

So, I succumbed to pop culture and have been pleased and even, perhaps, edified. CAN vampires be edifying? In this case, I think they actually CAN be. :)

And Stephanie Myers story is inspiring.

I've had one particular story trying to come out since I was preggie with Ria. I've written on it many times, but never quite kept going. I'm trying to be more enduring this time round. It seems like there are TONS of indications that I "need" to write RIGHT now.

My dear friend, Ryushin, quoted something in a recent letter. It's a sentiment that is stated many times and in many different ways and about many different subjects/expressions, but I felt like it was speaking to me about writing. I really want to share it because it has touched me and resonated with me and my own ideas SO keenly:

Martha Graham (a famous dancer):

There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated
through you into action and because there is only one of you in all
time, this expression is unique.

And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and
will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to
determine how good it is nor how valuable it is nor how it compares with
other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and
directly, to keep the channel open.

You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to
keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.

Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction
whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a
blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive.

3 comments:

vicki said...

O goodie!
I think this means you are starting to write. Do! Just a paragraph a day, or notes, or a diagram of where you want your story to go...or think it should go. Write. love, mom

Jenny said...

I am not at all a fan of the movie, but I really do love the books (although the 4th one was my least favorite and as such became a fairly disapointing end to the series for me). I am glad you read the books AND found them worth your while!

felicakes said...

Yeay... another Twilight Fan! hehehehe.... I love the books more than the movie too. HEHEHEH

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter