Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vampires

Ria reads. If you don't know that, you don't read often enough or completely enough (or you haven't been around her long enough). She's 5 today and she reads at a second to fourth grade level and has been doing so for at least the last 6 months. She has read almost the complete Magic Treehouse series. (Only almost complete because the library doesn't have ALL of them. She's also read the few field companions available.) She's currently making her way through the A to Z Mysteries and the Little House on the Prairie books. As of today and for the next day or two she's also reading a New York Times best seller (I can't remember the title right now). It's a blue cover with a cartoony looking drawing on the front. Have I mentioned that she reads with super high comprehension, if not complete comprehension? Well, she does.

About a week ago Ria showed me a boo-boo that had two small red dots relatively close together. I think children simply point out a boo-boo and want some attention for the pain (imagined or real) that such a boo-boo would cause. Not Ria with this one. She told me (and anyone who'd hear her!) that she had a vampire bite!!!!! Yes, she knows about vampires. At first I was a little alarmed, thinking she's snuck reading the Twilight series I borrowed from the library and read. I'm not opposed to her reading them eventually, but I DO think 4 years, almost 5 years old is a little young. I do! Don't you? She DID ask to read them, but I said she would have to wait. Unfortunately, saying no in any way is not always followed by obedience. (I know, amazing, right!? A disobedient child!) I asked her, with some trepadition, how she knew about vampires. When she told me she'd read about it in a Magic Treehouse book, I felt a wash of relief roll over me. And, once again, amazement and pleasure in my child who understands SO much and applies it in real life (even if the things she applies aren't ACTUALLY real!).

Awesome. Right?

No comments:

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter