Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Experiments in HTML

Do you see the difference? Hopefully sooner than later it will be even more different than now. I have to say, HTML is no joke. A practice in perfect order and exactness if ever there was one!

There were 2 sites that helped me do what I've done. There may be more in the near future. The GREATEST help was Cash Quests (at least, I think that's the name). That site will help you get the 3 columns most easily, but is missing the margin information I found in Lawny Designz. I tried this a few times. Unfortunately, most of the tutors don't specify that you need to make sure the formatting matches that which already exists.

For instance, there was this one that told you to copy and paste some info, but it wasn't in the correct format. I didn't know that. (Real HTML novice here! I know.) Even the site that was most helpful didn't have the formatting just right, so I had to add that in. I guess it was pretty easy for me by that time (cause I'd figured that much out by then). Somehow the other help sites for making 3 columns created the ROOM for the third column, but no formatting information on my Layout page. The site that was most helpful to me HAD that. The only thing it lacked was correct formatting of the HTML and the margin between the left column and the center. So, the whole process turned out to be really time consuming. A learning "on the fly" as it were. It is really interesting to me, though!

I am planning to try some more HTML stuff for backgrounds and such. I'd love to have a cute blog (like some I visit). It sure is time consuming. I guess hobbies often are, and this is certainly a hobby of mine.

I've found that the few people I've asked about HTMLing for a nicer blog, weren't terribly helpful. If you would like some help (read: you're as clueless as I was when I started this sometime in the afternoon yesterday!), I would be happy to help you! Try to ask any questions as specific as you can... that'll help me help you a lot.

Oh, and I LOVE comments. If you have anything to say about my blog, do share.

3 comments:

Chris said...

We used the information from this website (this link is to the exact info) to set up our three column page. http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/02/three-columns-blogger-template.html

I'm certainly a novice myself, but was able to play with the numbers for column widths to get it to where we are now. Our site is really wide, but so far we like it. We don't do the fancy background, partly because Chris doesn't like any of them, partly because it takes a lot less time to upload the page when it's just a basic color.

This is actually Evelyn. =D

If you find some good websites/info on how to create your own backgrounds, let me know. I'd be interested in experimenting with that.

vicki said...

YOur site has been looking nice, Tori. Much of what you share about the making of it (creating/building) is almost Greek to me.

Anonymous said...

hi thanks for the link but your blog description is not centered in firefox but here's how to fix it first find this code in your template

#header .description {
margin:0 5px 5px;
padding:0 20px 15px;
max-width:700px;
text-transform:uppercase;
letter-spacing:.2em;
line-height: 1.4em;
font: normal normal 78% Verdana, sans-serif;
color: #701b51;
}

remove the max-width so it becomes

#header .description {
margin:0 5px 5px;
padding:0 20px 15px;
text-transform:uppercase;
letter-spacing:.2em;
line-height: 1.4em;
font: normal normal 78% Verdana, sans-serif;
color: #701b51;
}


Lawny
http://lawnydesignz.blogspot.com
http://lawnys-templates.blogspot.com

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter