Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Saturday Soliloquy 57: My Sixteenth Birthday

It's likely he got the idea from someone else's life.  My Dad, though a genius, doesn't have many original ideas.  And, really, when it comes right down to it, he doesn't often execute his borrowed ideas very well.
 
We didn't have much of a relationship.  The main time my Dad interacted with me was to punish/discipline me or to hit my leg when he thought something was funny while we watched TV together.  Seriously.
 
So, I wasn't too excited about the prospect, but yet... I was totally excited.  My Dad was taking me on a date.  My first.  He told me he wanted me to know how boys should treat me, so he was taking me on a date to model what I should expect.  I'm sure that effort would've been more successful if I'd actually valued myself at all.  I didn't, which I'm sure is a result of generational curse stuff as well as not feeling like my parents valued me much at all.
 
I remember that he held the door for me.  He took me to dinner.  And then to a movie... in a movie theater!  We watched Beauty and the Beast.  I really enjoyed the movie.  It was my favorite Disney cartoon movie for a long time after that date.  I'm sure that's because of the date, really.

No comments:

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter