Featured Post

I Am... Mama and Writer

First Mama.  Then Writer.  Though, of late, the latter has consumed a great deal of time as I work to get things in order to potentially be ...

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Living Without AC: mold

It's something most people don't think about because we don't have to think about it. But air conditioning is a form of slight refrigeration, which is a preservative. If you do not use AC, as we do not use AC, you will learn, at some point during a tremendous summer as we have down south, the truth of "moth and rust doth corrupt" and understand more fully why we should not lay up our treasures on earth where those things (AND MOLD) will destroy those things we value.

The mold started about a month ago. August hit and so did the mold. On the walls. In kitchen cabinet. In boxes: on shoes, clothes, and other random things. It showed up on cavas containers, inside of plastic containers, on containers.... It's everywhere. And it doesn't smell good. Of course, it doesn't look good either. The most upsetting place I found it, though, I think, is on my couch. Behind the big cushions. I found it on a Sunday. So I broke the Sabbath. I felt like it was an"ox in the mire" issue because I was told as a youngster that I am allergic to mold. I would imagine my kiddos may be as well. Anyway... It's been interesting. Frustrating... and on top of all the other trials that have hit over the last month or so... almost debilitating.

Thankfully, as I write, I have begun to feel a lightening of the heaviness and darkness that has hung around our home and the peoples within it. So, things are still difficult (mold is showing up in new places), but I'm managing better.

I hope you can use AC. It's SO much nicer NOT to have to deal with THIS issue!

1 comment:

vicki said...

Whether it seems cool outside or not, When dewpoint is 54 or higher I make sure the AC is on. I am sorry that is not an option for you right now.
Now that i do that I don't have to wash mold off the bathroom walls and ceiling several times a year (maybe down to once a year) and I rarely, if ever find it in corners in the house, now.
I hope your next summer is one WITH A/C.
If you are cleaning with bleach water, the mold may grow less fast. how're you treating it?

copyright notice

© 2008-2016 Tori Gollihugh All Rights Reserved


sitemeter

statcounter